Thomas DixonPosted by Jean Crowl 5 May, 2009
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.
THOMAS DIXON, one of the extensive landowners and also one of the large stock-dealers of Henderson County, now makes his home on section 5, township 9, range 5 west. He was born in Adams County, Ill., August 29, 1854, and is of English descent. His father, James Dixon, was born in England in 1819, and after attaining mature years was there married to Ann Bladan, a native of the same country. Four children were born to them in their native land. On emigrating to America, they located near Cincinati, Ohio, where Mr. Dixon carried on farming for a few years. He then took up his residence in Adams County, Ill., where he carried on agricultural pursuits for a year. His next place of residence was in the southern part of Henderson County, where he rented land for a time. It was in 1863 that he purchased his present farm, becoming the owner of one hundred and sixty acres in township 9, range 5. To this he added from time to time, until he now owns six hundred acres of as fine land as can be found in the county. His property has all been acquired through his own efforts, with the assistance of his estimable wife and sons, who were always ready to aid him. In the Dixon family were nine children, namely: James, Mrs. Mary A. Perry, William, Richard, Joseph, John (now deceased), Thomas, Henry and Margaret J.
Thomas Dixon of this sketch was reared to manhood under the parental roof, and to his father gave the benefit of his senvices until he had attained his majority. He early became inured to the task of developing new land, and all the departments of farm work were familiar to him from an early age. When he reached man's estate he was the owner of a team of horses, and with these he began operating his father's farm on shares. He continued to cultivate it for a few years, until, having acquired some capital, he purchased a farm, in connection with his brother. After a time this partnership was discontinued, Thomas Dixon selling out. He then purchased two hundred acres of laud south of his present farm, and about 1883 moved to the farm on which he now resides.
On the 7th of March of that year, Mr. Dixon was united in marriage with Miss Hannah C. Vaughn, daughter of Matthew and Mary Ann (Marsden) Vaughn, both of whom are natives of England. Her father crossed the Atlantic in the spring of 1849, and located in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1851 he came to Henderson County, settling near Carman, where he still lives. He has always followed farming, and is now one of the largest land-owners in the county. He was born November 10, 1829, in Monmouthshire, England. On the nth of April, 1854, he married Miss Marsden, who had come to the United States during her early girlhood. At that time he had only forty acres of land, but his well-directed efforts have made him one of the wealthiest citizens of the county. Eleven children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn: William J., born August 20, 1855, now deceased; Anna C, wife of Thomas Dixon, June 10, 1857; George A., July 14, 1859; Arthur T., March 30, 1862; Alice N., September 8, 1864; Miles M., November 25, 1866; James N., December 2, 1868; Mark N. and Luke M., twins, October 1, 1870; Charles R., May 9, 1873; and Manford R., May 16, 1876.
One child graces the home of our subject and his wife, Edna V., born October 1, 1885. The parents began their domestic life upon the farm which is still their home. In 1889, Mr. Dixon built a very large barn, and in 1892 erected one of the most beautiful country residences in Henderson County. It is the abode of hospitality, and the friends of the family are always sure to there receive a hearty welcome. Mr. Dixon devotes his 'time to general farming and stock-raising, dealing very extensively in stock. His home farm comprises three hundred and twenty acres, and in addition to this he has a considerable amount elsewhere in the county. In politics, Mr. Dixon is a Republican, and both he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. All who know them hold them in high regard, and they have a wide acquaintance in the community.