Henderson Header

 

Nathan Weaver

From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.

NATHAN WEAVER, Postmaster at Media, who devoted his time to agricultural pursuits on section 15, Walnut Grove Township, Henderson County, from 1854 to 1879, was born in the town of Greenwich, Washington County, N. Y., on the 3d of August, 1823. His parents were John and Mercy (Barney) Weaver, and they too were natives of the Empire State. The father was a farmer, a shoemaker and a weaver of cloth. Both he and his wife died in 1871, being over eighty years of age at the time. Their family numbered ten children, namely: Edward B., Andrus, Mrs. Elizabeth Curtis, all of whom are now dead; Mrs. Elsie Williams; Asa F.; John B., deceased; William E.; Nathan; Jacob; and James, who died in childhood. John B., who was in Kansas at the time of the breaking out of the late war, took sides with the anti-slavery party, and assisted in its support till the close of the War of the Rebellion.

In the district schools, Nathan Weaver acquired his education. At the age of fourteen he left home and went to live with his brother, E. B. Weaver, with whom he remained until twenty-one years of age. On attaining his majority he went to Wisconsin, in the fall of 1844, and attended the academy at Milton for two terms of three months each, paying his own way with money which he had previously earned. About Christmas of 1844, he started for Illinois, making the journey on foot, and during the holidays he arrived in Henderson County. For a short time he attended the district schools, after which he began working at the carpenter's trade, which he followed for several years. In 1849, however, he returned to New York, spending two years in his native State in the home of his brother, A. F. Weaver. There he attended school, followed farming and worked at his trade. In 1851, we again find our subject in Wisconsin, where he followed carpentering in company with his brother for a year. In 1852 he once more came to Henderson County, where he has since resided. On attaining his majority he had no capital save a young man's bright hope of the future and a determination to succeed. He made a start by teaching school and working at the carpenter's trade, and when he had acquired a sufficient capital he purchased a tract of land. This was in 1854. As time passed its value was increased, and he also added to that at various intervals, until he now owns six hundred and twenty acres of fine land, all in one body. This is highly cultivated and well improved and yields to the owner a handsome income, which is well deserved, as the reward of his earnest labors.

The cause of education has ever found in Mr. Weaver a warm and faithful friend. He built and gave to the public the commodious school-house at Media, in order that the children of the community should receive good and thorough instruction, and for the maintenance of the school he pays $900 annually. He has served as School Trustee, is the present Postmaster which position he filled for two years once before, under Cleveland's administration), and has served as Justice of the Peace. The duties of these various positions have ever been promptly and faithfully performed, and thereby he has won high commendation. In connection with his farm property he owns three dwellings in Media, all of which stand as monuments to his thrift and enterprise, for they have been acquired through his own efforts. He is truly a self-made man, and certainly deserves great credit for attaining to the prosperous position in which we now find him.

In 1888, when the Santa Fe Railroad was constructed through Henderson County, Mr. Weaver located the town of Media on his farm (part of section 15), and a pretty village has grown up in a few years.