Henderson Header

 
Joseph P. Morey

From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.

JOSEPH P. MOREY, one of the honored veterans of the late war, is now the efficient superintendent of the County Poor Farm of Henderson County, and is also serving as Deputy Jailor. He is a western man by birth, having been born in Washington County, Iowa, on the 10th of September, 1844. His father, William Morey, was a native of Ohio, and was of Scotch descent. He married Lauzetta Disney, and to them were born eight children, but only two are now living: Joseph P., and Melissa, wife of William A. Vaughan, a farmer of Henderson County. Those who have passed away are Lorenzo, Paulina, Maria, Martha, Sarah and Melvina.

Joseph P. Morey spent the days of his boyhood and youth upon a farm. In 1850 the family came to Henderson County, but the father died the following year, while in Iowa, and the mother passed away about 1854. Our subject was then left an orphan. He continued to reside in Henderson County until 1857, when he went to Kansas, and located within ten miles of Topeka, there spending a year. On horseback he then made his way to De Kalb County, Ill., where he spent one season, working as a farm hand by the month, after which he again came to Henderson County. Here he secured employment as a farm hand, and to agricultural pursuits devoted his energies until 1859, when he went to St. Joseph, Mo.

After the attempt at secession by the South, Mr. Morey responded to the call for troops to aid in the preservation of the Union, and in February, 1862, became a private of Company A, Fifth Missouri Cavalry. He was mustered into service at St. Joe, and remained with that command until 1863, when he was discharged. Soon after, he enlisted in the Ninth Missouri Cavalry, and from that time until the close of the war was largely-engaged in scouting duty. He was bugler of his regiment, and with his command took part in a number of skirmishes with the bushwhackers. In July, 1865, when the South had laid down its arms, he was honorably discharged in St. Louis. After being mustered out he went to Buchanan County, Mo., where he engaged in farming until 1880.

In the year after his return from the war, Mr. Morey was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Storey, and to them were born five children, but James died in infancy. Those still living are: Lena, wife of Samuel Vaughn; Lillie; William and Loran. In Buchanan County, Mo., Mr. Morey continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until 1880, the year of his removal to Henderson County. Here he followed farming until 1888, when he was appointed Superintendent of the County Poor Farm, and also Deputy Jailer, which positions he has since filled. He owns eighty acres of land in Rozetta Township, which is now rented. In politics, he is a supporter of Republican principles, and is a member of the Odd Fellows' society, and the Grand Army of the Republic. He holds membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and takes an active interest in all public enterprises calculated to prove of benefit to the community. With the same fidelity which he manifested when defending the Old Flag, he has discharged his official duties, and all who know him esteem him highly for his faithfulness and the many excellencies of his character.