John H. WelchPosted by Jean Crowl 7 May 2009
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.
JOHN H. WELCH, deceased, was born in Erie County, N. Y., October 29, 1814, and was of English descent. He was reared in the usual manner of farm lads, and in the common schools acquired a fair education. In his native State he learned the mason's trade, which he followed during his residence in New York. At length he determined to come to the West, and in the spring of 1849 started for Illinois. At length he reached Henderson County, and cast his lot among the early settlers of Rozetta Township. He had previously purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, of which eighty acres were an unimproved timber tract on section 17, and, loca- ting thereon, he began the development of a farm. He plowed and planted his land and continued its further cultivation and improvement until 1864, when he purchased one hundred and sixty acres on section 28, Rozetta Township, where his son now resides. There he carried on agricultural pursuits until 1868, when he went to Oquawka, spending two and a-half years in the city, after which he returned to the old homestead. >/p<>p> In Henderson County, Mr. Welch was united in marriage with Miss Man,- L- Lathrop, and to them were born five children, namely: Harriet E., wife of Samuel Reed; Nelson Q.; Nancy, wife of Andrew B. Cochran; Esther, wife of Howard Hastings: and Sarah E., wife of Riley Moorhead. After his return to the farm, Mr. Welch there continued to make his home until called to his final rest. He died on the 6th of March, 1888, and his remains were interred in the Reed Cemetery. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and was an honorable, up- right man, who had the high regard of all with whom he was brought in contact. His wife still survives him and is now living in Arkansas. The only son of the family, Nelson Q. Welch, was reared to manhood upon his father's farm, and in the summer months aided in the plowing, planting and harvesting, while in the winter season he continued his lessons in the district school of the neighborhood. Being an only son, he always remained at home with his parents and to his father gave the benefit of his services. On his father's death he took charge of the old farm, which he still owns and operates. He carries on both general farming and stock-raising, and is regarded as one of the leading agriculturists of the community.
On the 5th of November, 1879, Mr. Welsh was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Hamel, and to them have been born four children: Ralph, Annie M., John Clinton and Fred H.
In his political views Mr. Welch is a Republican, and is now serving as School Director of his district. The best interests of the community receive his support and co-operation, and he is a wide-awake and enterprising man. His entire life has been passed in Henderson County, and those who have known him from boyhood are numbered among his stanchest friends, a fact which indicates an honorable career.