|John StinePosted by Jean Crowl 8 May, 2009
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing
biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.
JOHN STINE, one of the prominent and influential citizens of Henderson County, and one of its extensive
land-owners, now resides on section 24, Terre Haute Township. The record of his life is as follows: He was born
near Dresden, in Muskingum County, Ohio, on the 26th of May, 1834, and is a son of John and Mary Stine, the former
a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Muskingum County, Ohio. The father was of German descent, and in his
youth learned the trade of a millwright. About 1826, he removed with his parents from the Keystone State to Perry
County, Ohio, where he lived until 1828, when he became a resident of Muskingum County. He was there married, and
soon after established a saw and grist mill, which he operated for about thirty-five years. In 1863, he came to
Illinois, settling near Danville, Vermilion County, where he made his home until his death in 1877, at the age of
sixty-eight years. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and a highly respected citizen. His wife, who was born
in 18 12, also passed away in 1877. They were the parents of the following children: Josiah, who died in 1875; Mary
E., who died in 1876; John, of this sketch; Alpheus, who died in 1861; William, a carpenter living in Cumber- land
County, Ohio; Madison, who is a merchant and Postmaster of Fairmount, Ill.; Samantha. who died in 1862; George, who
follows fanning near Danville, Ill.; and Ellen, widow of John Hawkins.
During his youth, John Stine attended the district schools. At the age of seventeen he began to earn his own
livelihood by working as a farm hand for $7 per month. He was thus employed for three seasons, after which he came
to Illinois, in the autumn of 1854, locating in Henderson County. During the first year he worked as a farm hand,
and then attended school at Terre Haute. In 1856 he entered the college at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, where he pursued his
studies for one year, and then spent one year in the public schools of Pontoosuc, 111. In the winter of 1855"56 Mr.
Stine engaged in teaching, following that profession for thirteen years during the winter season, while in the
summer months he engaged in farming. In 1857 he purchased one hundred acres of land in La Harpe Township, Hancock
County, and engaged in its cultivation for five years. He then sold, and bought eighty acres on section 19, Raritan
Township, Henderson County, but after a year removed to McDonough County, where he spent a similar period. In 1866
he purchased his present farm, and took up his residence thereon in 1868. He now owns eight hundred and eighty
acres of valuable land, all in one body. A part of this he rents, but all is cultivated under his supervision.
On the 2d of April. 1857, Mr. Stine was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Bradshaw, daughter of Charles and
Annie (Cyrus) Bradshaw. They now have six children: Mary E., wife of Benjamin Mudd, a farmer of Henderson County;
Reaubena, wife of Charles Butler, County Superintendent of Schools; Annie F., wife of Edward Link, an agriculturist
of this county; Effie C, at home; John W., who also follows farming; and Marion E., who completes the family.
Mr. Stine has always been a supporter of the Republican party. He and his family are members of the Christian
Church, and are prominent and highly respected people of this community. In connection with his other business
interests, he is now a stockholder and director of the State Bank of Stronghurst, is a stockholder in the Street
Railway Company of Davenport, Iowa, and owns an interest in a grain elevator. His sagacity and foresight, combined
with perseverance and enterprise, have made him one of the successful business men of the community, and have won
him a handsome property, which is the just reward of his own labor.