Henderson Header

 
Hervey Brimhall
Posted by Jean Crowl 7 May, 2009
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
ay, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.

HERVEY BRIMHALL is the owner of a valuable farm of two hundred and sixty-six acres on section 21, Rozetta Township, Henderson County. The care and cultivation which he has bestowed upon his land have resulted in making it one of the finest farms of the community. He is a native of McHenry County, Ill., born October 24, 1844, and on the paternal side is of English descent. His parents were Samuel and Caroline (Mills) Brimhall, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Indiana. The family numbered five children: Adelia A., now deceased; Hervey, of this sketch; Elmer, who is engaged in the real-estate business in Chicago; and Andrew and Nancy E. , both deceased.

The father of this family removed from the Empire State to Dearborn County, Ind., when about fifteen years of age, the journey westward being made by team. The family were among the pioneer settlers. Samuel Brimhall there grew to manhood, and in the Hoosier State was married. In 1843, he went with his wife and daughter to McHenry County, Ill., where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, upon which he made his home until 1845. He then came to Henderson Countv on horseback to look up a location, and the following year brought his family, the journey being made with an ox-team and wagon. He purchased forty acres of land from the Government, and one hundred and sixty acres which had already been entered, on sections 18 and 20, and then erected a log cabin 20x20 feet. This was mostly timber-land. He at once began to clear and improve it, and made his home thereon until 1860, when he took up his residence in Kirkwood, where he made his home until his death. He passed away August 1, 1888, and was laid to rest in Kirkwood Cemetery. He held membership with the Baptist Church, and for many years was a preacher of the Gospel, working in the ministry in Mercer, Warren and Henderson Counties. He also spent two years as a preacher in Chicago. He was one of nature's noblemen, faithful to every trust reposed in him, and his example was one well worthy of emulation. His wife, who was a consistent member of the same church, passed away November 3, 1859.

The gentleman whose name heads this record was reared to manhood upon his father's farm in Henderson County, whither he came with his parents when only three years of age. The subscription schools afforded him his educational privileges, but he is largely self-educated, having gained much of his knowledge through business experience, reading, and contact with the world. He began to earn his own livelihood when seventeen years of age by working as a farm hand, and was thus employed until the 8th of August, 1862, when he enlisted for the late war as a private of Company K, Eighty-fourth Illinois Infantry. He was mustered into service in Quincy, and after going to the South took part in the battles of Murfreesboro and Stone River, together with other engagements. When the war was over he received his final discharge at Camp Butler, June 15, 1865.

Mr. Brimhall then returned to Henderson County, and began working at the carpenter's trade, which he followed for about three years. Since that time he has engaged principally in farming, but has also worked at carpentering to some extent. His landed possessions now aggregate three hundred and ninety-eight acres, including eight acres which his father secured from the Government almost half a century ago. In connection with general fanning he carries on stockraising, and in both branches of his business he has met with good success. His farm is improved with good buildings, and is supplied with all modern accessories and conveniences.

On the 1st of November, 1866, Mr. Brimhall wedded Miss Mary L. Alaman, and by their union have been born six children: Ida N., who was born October 31, 1867, and is the wife of Gideon T. Dixon, a merchant of Biggsville, by whom she has a daughter, Elsie; Ross, born January 19, 1871; H. Elmer, born August 2, 1875; Frank A., born February 9, 1881; Carie B., born April 24, 1884; and Leroy B., born November 6, 1885.

In his political views, Mr. Brimhall is a stanch Republican. He has held the offices of Justice of the Peace and School Director, and is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Always found on the side of right and order, he is regarded as one of the leading and highly respected citizens of the community, and well deserves representation in the history of his adopted county.