Henderson Header

 
Finch
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894) May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.
MRS. ELIZA J. FINCH, who is living in Oquawka, has the honor of being a native of Illinois, for she was born in Champaign, on the 24th of December, 1851. Her father, Philip Adkins, was a native of Ohio, and about 1844 was united in marriage with Miss Eliza Crabb. When he was a child he was brought by his parents to Illinois, the family locating in Champaign County, where he grew to manhood, and was married. Six children were born of their union: Mrs. Matilda E. Gibson, Mrs. Eliza J. Finch, John S., and three who died in childhood. Mr. Adkins, during the late war, entered the service as a member of the Thirty-ninth Iowa Infantry. He now receives a pension of $10 per month from the Government in recognition of his services. On leaving Illinois, he moved to Iowa, about 1857, and after a few years spent in Des Moines, purchased a farm in Greene County, upon which he still makes his home.
Mrs. Finch spent the days of her girlhood in her parents' home, and in the public schools acquired a good English education. On the 12th of September, 1870, she became the wife of Stephen N. Van Horn, of Greene County, Iowa, the ceremony being performed by Stephen Jackson, a Justice of the Peace. They began their domestic life upon a farm in that county, purchasing eighty acres of land. Six children were born to them: Mary M.,.born November 3, 1872: Harry E., June 29, 1873; Eliza J., March 17, 1875; Ada A., January 17, 1877; Philip E., September 8, 1879; and one who was born September 28, 1889, and died in infancy.
After living upon their first farm for fifteen years, Mr. and Mrs. Van Horn removed to another farm of eighty acres in Greene County, where they remained fur six years. They then purchased a home in Ripley, and removed to that place, where they lived until the 15th of September, 1892, when they decided to separate. Mrs. Van Horn went to Guthrie County, Iowa, where she earned her living at general housework and nursing. On the 10th of February, 1894, she was married to Charles L. Finch by Squire Galy, of Aledo, Ill. On the 12th of March, she sent Mr. Finch to Greene County, Iowa, to collect a note of $300, and the man probably secured the money and fled, for she has never since heard from him. Mrs. Finch yet makes her home in Oquawka, where she has a pleasant residence, and some other property in notes, etc. Her business is in charge of Elbert W. Weeks, an attorney of Guthrie Center, Iowa. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a constant worker in its interest, doing much for its upbuilding and advancement.