Henderson Header

 
David A. Beaty
Posted by Jean Crowl 7 May, 2009
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.

DAVID A. BEATY, who owns and operates one hundred and thirty-five acres of good land on section 9, Rozetta Township, is one of the early settlers of Henderson County, and since 1851 has resided upon his present farm. His time and attention are given to the cultivation of his land and to stock-raising, and by his well directed efforts he has become one of the well-to- do citizens of the community.

Mr. Beaty is a native of Champaign County, Ohio, born October 4, 1818. The family is of Irish lineage. His father, William Beaty, was a native of Berkeley County, Va. The mother bore the maiden name of Mary Pence. They had three children: David; Rachel, who is living in Oquawka; and Israel, who died in 1870. The mother of this family having passed away, Mr. Beaty was again married, and by his second union had seven children: George, who died in Illinois; Ira; Sarah, now deceased; and four who died in early childhood. The family came to the West about 1830, making the journey by team, and William Beaty entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from the Government in Henderson County, paying the usual price of $1.25 per acre. He then built a log cabin, and in true pioneer style those early days were passed. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in early life was a Democrat, but after the organization of the Republican party he joined its ranks. He served in the War of 1812, and was always a valued citizen. He served as one of the first Supervisors of his township, helped to lay out the roads, and aided in the organization of the school district. On the farm which he had developed, his death occurred May 18, 1869. David Beaty whose name heads this record grew to manhood in the township which is now his home, and attended its subscription schools, which were held in a log schoolhouse. Although his advantages in this direction were quite limited, his training at farm labor was not meager, for at an early age he began to follow the plow, and soon became familiar with farm work in all its departments. He continued under the parental roof until twenty-two years of age, when he began to earn his own livelihood by chopping wood and making rails. The following year he rented land, and then purchased eighty acres of land, a part of the farm on which he now resides, the purchase price being $200. There were no improvements uponthe place, but he at once began its development and continued its cultivation until 1850, when he went to California, making the overland journey with ox-teams. There were seven teams in the party and twenty-eight men. They crossed the river at the site of the present city of Omaha, and after five months of travel reached Hangtown.

Mr. Beaty then engaged in prospecting and mining, and remained on the Pacific Slope for about a year. He then started on the return trip, traveling by steamer to Mexico. He made the journey on foot from the City of Mexico to Santa Cruz, where he again boarded a vessel. On once more reaching Henderson County, he resumed farming, and has since made it his exclusive occupation.

On the 20th of December, 1842, Mr. Beaty was united in marriage with Miss Abigail Roberts, and to them were born eight children, but only three are now living: Adolphus, a blacksmith residing in Rozetta: Florence, wife of Harry Patterson. editor of the Democrat, of Oquawka: and Phoebe, wife of Jacob Kirkhart, of Warren County. Iowa.

Mr. Beaty cast his first Presidential vote for William Henry Harrison, and since the organization of the Republican party has been one of its stanch advocates. He has traveled over much of this country . and his life has been an eventful one, filled with many interesting experiences. His career, too, has always been upright and honorable, and in this community he has many warm friends.