Henderson Header

 
S. Catherine Johnson
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co. S. CATHERINE JOHNSON, who is now living on section 6, Walnut Grove Township, was born on the 16th of July, 1849, in New Jersey, and is a daughter of John S. and Maria A. Brookall Nevius. They, too, were natives of New Jersey, the former born July 16, 1820, and the latter October 16, 1825. They were married on the 8th of August, 1846, and remained in the East until 1857, when they emigrated to Illinois, locating in Henderson County. The father purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, buying the same on time, but as soon as possible he paid off the indebtedness on the place, and not only freed it from debt, but added to it, until at his death he was the owner of four hundred and forty acres of good land. He worked his way steadily upward to a position of affluence, and during the last few years of his life he lived retired, resting in the enjoyment of the fruits of his former toil. He passed away on the 14th of February, 1888, and was laid to rest in Raritan Cemetery. His widow is still living, and now makes her home in Stronghurst with her son Simon. In the Nevius family were seven children, of whom five are yet living, namely: Simon, of Stronghurst; Mrs. Catherine Johnson; Sarah J., wife of T. Y. Gilmore, who resides in Stronghurst; Peter B., who makes his home in Raritan; and Brachie, wife of Robert Humphrey, one of the representative and successful farmers of Henderson County. Mrs. Mary B. Powlson is deceased. Mrs. Johnson came with her parents to Henderson County when a maiden of eight summers, and here grew to womanhood. Her childhood days were spent under the parental roof, and in attendance at the district schools of the neighborhood, where she acquired her education. On the 4th of March, 1873, she gave her hand in marriage to Peter D. Johnson, who was born April 15, 1847, and was a son of Jacob H. and Liddie Wvkoff Johnson, who were also natives of New Jersey, and came to Illinois in 1870. The son always followed agricultural pursuits, and was a wide-awake and enterprising farmer, who successfully managed his business interests and became well-to-do. In politics, he was a Democrat, but never sought or desired political preferment. The best interests of the community ever found in him a friend, ready to aid in their advancement. He passed away on the 1st of January, 1894, respected by all who knew him, and his remains were interred in Stronghurst Cemetery. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were born four children, all of whom are yet living: Annie, born December 9, 1873; Aaron March 3, 1875; Simon P., August 17, 1880; and Eva, on the 12th of August 1886. The children are all with the mother. The family has a pleasant home and the sons carries on general farming and stockraising in Walnut Grove Township. Mrs. Johnson now owns one hundred and twenty acres of good land, she has managed with confidence since her husbands death and by the assistance of her children. Mrs. Johnson is a member of the United Presbyterian, a most estimable lady, who has earned the high regard of all with whom she has been brought in contact.