Posted by Jean Crowl 7May, 2009
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)Asa Jackson, who is numbered among the early settlers of Henderson County, his home now being on section 4, Rozetta Township, was born the 28th of January, 1817, in Jackson County, Ind., and is a son of Willington and Elsie (Davis) Jackson. The father was born in Virginia, and was of English descent. In the family were thirteen children, twelve sons and a daughter, and, with one exception, all grew to mature years, but only three are living at this writing (in the spring of 1894), namely: Asa of this sketch; Elisha, who now follows farming in Kansas; and Lewis, who is an agriculturist of the same State. The father continued to live in the Old Dominion until about thirty years of age, when he emigrated westward to Indiana, making the journey by team. He became one of the pioneer settlers of Jackson County, and there entered land from the Government, his claim being located near Brownstown. After erecting a log cabin, he began to clear and improve the farm, and in the midst of the forest developed a good home. The Indians were still in the neighborhood, and the white settlers, therefore, were frequently com- pelled to seek protection in forts. Mr. Jackson remained in the Hoosier State until his death, which occurred in 1840. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and a highly-respected citizen. His wife passed away several years previous.
Asa Jackson was reared upon the old homestead farm in the county of his nativity, and attended a subscription school, which was held in a log schoolhouse two miles from his home. He is largely self-educated, however, for he could attend school only through the winter season, when there was a lull in the farm work. He began to earn his own livelihood at the age of eighteen years, by working as a farm hand at $8 per month. He was thus employed for two years, after which he rented land and began farming in his own interest. He continued the cultivation of property belonging to others until 1849, when he left his native State and came to Illinois.
Previous to his removal, Mr. Jackson was married, having in 1836 led to the marriage altar Miss L. Henlider. By their union have been born seven children: Michael, who is now deceased; Adeline, widow of John Morse; Eveline, wife of Eli Beaty; Eavina, wife of George Brown; Eliza, wife of Alexander Smith; Mahala, wife of Hugh Haines; and Ellen, wife of David Penrose.
It was in 1849 that Mr. Jackson came to Henderson County, and purchased eighty-one acres of land on section 8, Rozetta Township. Only a few acres had been broken, the greater part of it being still in its primitive condition; but he at once began to cultivate it, and soon the entire amount was placed under the plow. Good buildings and other improvements were made, and in course of time the farm became one of the best in the neighborhood. Mr. Jackson continued to make his home thereon until 1893, when he sold his first property, and removed to the farm on which he now resides. His life has been a busy and useful one, and as the result of his industry, perseverance and good management he has acquired a comfortable competence. In his political views, Mr. Jackson has long been a supporter of the Republican party, and is a member of the Christian Church. During his long residence in this county he has made many warm friends, and it is with pleasure that we present this record of his life to our readers.
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.