Henderson Header

 
Andrew Davis 
 

From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.

ANDREW J. DAVIS, one of the represeutative farmers and stock-dealers of Henderson County, now living on section 32, Stronghurst Township, claims New York as the State of his nativity. He was born October 28, 1826, and is the second in a family of four children, but all are now deceased with the exception of himself and sister Sarah, who is now the wife of John Evans, a prominent farmer, who is represented elsewhere in this work. The father, Abrier Davis, was born in Windham County, Vt., September 21, 1794, was reared on a farm, and served in the War of 1812. In 1835 he came to Illinois, landing at Monmouth, and thence went to Centre Grove, where the family wintered. In the spring they moved to Stronghurst Township. Mr. Davis had a patent for the northwest quarter of section 36, township 9 north, range 5 west, Henderson Countv, Ill., the same being granted him for service in the War of 1812. He was the first to locate upon the prairie, where he built a cabin and reared his family, living in true pioneer style. His nearest neighbor to the south was eight miles away, and to the northwest six miles. In his political views, he was a Democrat. He came of a family of English origin, but for many generations its representatives had lived in America. Mr. Davis married Miss Lucy Oaks, a native of Windham County, Vt . They were buried side by side in the family burying-ground. The subject of this sketch spent the first ten years of his life in the Empire State, and then became a resident of Henderson County. He turned the first furrow on many an acre of wild land, and shared in all the hardships and experiences of frontier life. Until 1850 he remained at home, and then went to California, making the trip across the plains with a party of twenty-five, who had three wagons and pack-mules. After six mouths they reached Placerville, Cal., where Mr. Davis engaged in mining for a short time. He then engaged in freighting and in keeping a trading store near Burn River. His trip to the West proved a profitable one, and after two years he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Henderson County, his present farm, the old Hiram Brooks farm. On the 10th of December, 1853, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Davis and Miss Clarissa Miller, of Henderson County, who died in 1870. Five children were born to them: Charles H., a prosperous farmer of this community ; Ella, who died at the age of nine years; Frank M., also a successful agriculturist; Elmer A., who carries on agricultural pursuits in Pottawattamie County, Iowa; and Bertha C, wife of Charles Powell, of Stronghurst Township. Mr. Davis married the second time, February 28, 1872, Sophronia M. Taylor, of Burlington, Iowa, the widow of Allen Hendricks, and a daughter of Allen and Margaret (Budlong) Taylor. Mrs. Davis was born June 27, 1841, in Huntington, Lorain County, Ohio.