Henderson Header

 
Amos Haines
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co. AMOS HAINES, deceased, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, on the 5th of December, 1813, and the days of his boyhood and youth were spent upon a farm. His education was acquired in the old-time subscription schools, which were held in a log schoolhouse, the exercises being conducted in a primitive style. On attaining his majority he started out in life for himself, working as a farm hand, and in compensation for his services he received $10 per month. He also learned the carpenter's business, which he followed for about six years, when, with the capital he had acquired through industry and economy, he purchased eighty-eight acres of land in Pickaway County, Ohio. This was entirely unimproved, being covered with heavy timber. In the midst of the forest, however, he built a log cabin, and at once began the development of his farm. There he lived until 1840, when he sold out, preparatory to moving westward. He came to Henderson County, Ill., and cast in his lot with its early settlers, for the county at that time was just being opened up to civilization. Purchasing one hundred and sixty-seven acres of land on section 27, Rozetta Township, at $4.40 per acre, he at once began the development of a farm, for the land was still in a primitive condition, not a furrow having been turned or an improvement made thereon. His enterprising and industrious labors, however, greatly changed the appearance of the place. The boundaries of the farm he also extended, until it comprised two hundred and sixty-seven acres. On the 4th of April, 1839, Mr. Haines was united in marriage with Miss Catharine Miller, a native of Madison County, Ohio, born December 17, 1819. They became the parents of seven children: Mary J., now deceased; Sarah, wife of George Palmer; Hugh, a farmer residing in Henderson County; Newton, who is now engaged in the operation of the old homestead; John M., who carries on agricultural pursuits in Rozetta Township; Emma, who is living with her mother; and one child who died in infancy. The father of this family passed away August 15, 1855, and was laid to rest in Reed Cemetery. He was a member of the Christian Church, and was one of the most highly respected citizens of the community. After the death of her first husband, Mrs. Haines, on the 17th of September, 1857, became the wife of William C. Mitchell. Two children were born to them : Edward B., who is now living near Waverly, Neb.; and William H., who resides on the home farm. Mr. Mitchell was also a native of the Buckeye State, and his death occurred in August, 1881. He held membership with the Christian Church, and was held in high esteem for his many excellencies of character. Mrs. Mitchell also belongs to the same church. She is now living on the old homestead, and in this neighborhood she owns three hundred and sixty-five acres of valuable land, which is under a high state of cultivation, and therefore yields to her a good income. Her long residence in the county has made her widely known, and her friends in the community are many.