Henderson Header

 

Rev. Adam Blumer

From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.

REV. ADAM BLUMER, pastor of the Evangelical Church of North America of Oquawka, and one of the highly esteemed citizens of that place, claims Switzerland as the land of his birth. He was born in Engi, Canton Glarus, on the 27th of November, 1827, and was the sixth in a family of eight children born unto Fridolin and Magdelene (Marty) Blumer. The father was one of the high officers in the French army under Napoleon I., and for some years carried on a large hotel in Engi, where his death occurred in 1845. His wife had passed away in 1840. Since 1446 the first-born son of this family has borne the name of Fridolin. This name was borne by an Irish missionary in the fourth century, who traveled up the Rhine into Switzerland, where he died. Our subject spent the days of his boyhood and youth in his native land, and acquired his education in the Pilgrim Mission at St. Chrischona, near Basle. At the age of twenty-seven, he bade adieu to home and friends, and in 1854 sailed for America as a missionary. He first located in Muscatine, Iowa, where he was ordained to the ministry by the Congregational Church. He organized churches throughout the State, under the auspices of the Home Missionary Society, being thus employed for two years. He then received a call to Stillwater, Minn., and, accepting the same, organized a church at that place, remaining as its pastor for two years. In 1856, Mr. Blumer was united in marriage with Mrs. Augustiua Stock, who has been to her husband a faithful companion and helpmate on life's journey, aiding him in his labors and encouraging him by her warm sympathy. Their union has been blessed with one daughter, Mary. On leaving the Congregational Church in Stillwater, the Rev. Mr. Blumer united with the Lutheran Church, and was sent to Shakopee, where he remained as pastor for seven years. He also worked throughout the State during that time, and on the expiration of that period he was sent to Reed's Lauding, where he remained for eighteen months, after which he went to Rock Island, Ill., on account of his health. Although physically unfitted for duty, he was not content to remain idle, and organized a church in the southern part of Rock Island County, where he remained for about twelve years. The succeeding two years of his life were passed in Winona County, Minn., after which he was called back to Rock Island County, and also worked in Henry County for two years. He was then sent to Sutter, Hancock County, where he remained for nine years. In 1889, he came to Oquawka, and took charge of the church in this place. On account of the infirmity of partial deafness, he is now on the retired list, though still active in pastoral labors, and continues in charge of the parish at Oquawka. His entire life has been devoted to the work of the ministry, and his untiring labors and his earnest words, strengthened by a consistent life, have made him a power for good in church work. <